SIT60316 Advanced Diploma
This qualification reflects the role of commercial cooks who use a wide range of well-developed cookery skills and sound knowledge of kitchen operations to prepare food and menu items. Using discretion and judgement, they work with some independence and under limited supervision using plans, policies and procedures to guide work activities.
This qualification provides a pathway to work as a commercial cook in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafés, and coffee shops.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
CRICOS Course Code 106124G
Duration: 104 weeks, including 80 teaching weeks plus 24 weeks of holidays.
Term Dates:Refer to the Institute’s academic Calendar.
This program is delivered in the classroom. Practical face to face training is provided in a commercial kitchen. A work placement is also required.
Classroom: Aventia Institute, Level 1, 93 Edward Street, Brisbane 4000
Training kitchen: Vanilla Zulu 92, Commercial Road, Teneriffe, Brisbane, QLD, 4005, Australia
Aventia Institute’s entry requirements are as follows:
- Be 18 years and above.
- Have completed Year 12 or equivalent.
- Participate in a course entry interview to determine suitability for the course and student needs.
- Have an IELTS overall score of 5.5 with no less than 5 sub score or equivalent English proficiency as determined by Aventia Institute (Test results must be no more than 2 years old).
International Students may not be required to provide evidence of English Language competence where documented evidence can be provided to demonstrate any of the following:
- the student was educated for 5 years in an English-speaking country.
- the student has successfully least 6 months of a Certificate IV level course in an Australian RTO
- the student has successfully completed the College English Placement Test.
Where a student cannot provide evidence of English language proficiency as above, they will be required to complete the Versant Placement Test. The Versant Placement Test includes a score mapping to the CEFR which in turn maps back to IELTS. Therefore, the student’s results from this test will be mapped back to the IELTS entry requirements indicated above to check they have met requirements.
*Note that other English language tests such as PTE and TOEFL can be accepted. Students are required to provide their results so that it can be confirmed they are equivalent to IELTS 5.5.
Students must complete a total of Thirty-Three (33) units including Sixteen (16) core units and Seventeen (17) elective units
- BSBDIV501 Manage diversity in the workplace
- BSBFIM601 Manage finances
- BSBMGT517 Manage operational plan
- BSBMGT617 Develop and implement a business plan
- SITXCCS008 Develop and manage quality customer service practices
- SITXFIN003 Manage finances within a budget
- SITXFIN004 Prepare and monitor budgets
- SITXFIN005 Manage physical assets
- SITXGLC001 Research and comply with regulatory requirements
- SITXHRM003 Lead and manage people
- SITXHRM004 Recruit, select and induct staff
- SITXHRM006 Monitor staff performance
- SITXMGT001 Monitor work operations
- SITXMGT002 Establish and conduct business relationships
- SITXMPR007 Develop and implement marketing strategies
- SITXWHS004 Establish and maintain a work health and safety system
- SITHIND001 Use hygienic practices for hospitality service
- SITHIND004 Work effectively in hospitality service
- BSBADM502 Manage meetings
- BSBRES411 Analyse and present research information
- BSBSUS501 Develop workplace policy and procedures for sustainability
- BSBFIA401 Prepare financial reports
- BSBEBU501 Investigate and design e-business solution
- BSBRSK501 Manage risk
- BSBITU306 Design and produce business documents
- BSBITU402 Develop and use complex spreadsheets
- BSBCMM401 Make a presentation
- BSBHRM513 Manage workforce planning
- BSBINN601 Lead and manage organisational change
- BSBMGT605 Provide leadership across the organisation
- BSBHRM602 Manage human resources strategic planning
- SITHIND002 Source and use information on the hospitality industry
Students who complete this course may wish to continue their education into a range of Advanced Diploma qualifications, such as the SIT60316 Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management.
Potential employment options are in any hospitality industry sector as a departmental or small business manager. See also possible job title roles indicated in the qualification description.
RTO No. 41418 | CRICOS CODE 03473J
© 2021 Aventia Institute. All Rights Reserved.