SIT50416 Diploma of
This qualification reflects the role of highly skilled senior operators who use a broad range of hospitality skills combined with managerial skills and sound knowledge of industry to coordinate hospitality operations. They operate independently, have responsibility for others and make a range of operational business decisions.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication
CRICOS Course Code 102670B
Duration: 104 weeks, including 80 teaching weeks and 24 weeks of holidays .
Term Dates: Refer to the Institute’s academic Calendar.
This program is delivered in the classroom. Practical face to face training is provided in a commercial kitchen. A work placement is also required.
Classroom: Aventia Institute, Level 1, 93 Edward Street, Brisbane 4000
Training kitchen: Vanilla Zulu, 92, Commercial Road, Teneriffe, Brisbane, QLD, 4005, Australia
Aventia Institute has the following entry requirements for international students.
- Be 18 years and above.
- Have completed Year 12 or equivalent.
- Participate in a course entry interview to determine suitability for the course and student needs.
- Have an IELTS overall score of 5.5 with no less than 5 sub score or equivalent English proficiency as determined by Aventia Institute (Test results must be no more than 2 years old).
International Students may not be required to provide evidence of English Language competence where documented evidence can be provided to demonstrate any of the following:
- the student was educated for 5 years in an English-speaking country.
- the student has successfully least 6 months of a Certificate IV level course in an Australian RTO
- the student has successfully completed the College English Placement Test.
Where a student cannot provide evidence of English language proficiency as above, they will be required to complete the Versant Placement Test. The Versant Placement Test includes a score mapping to the CEFR which in turn maps back to IELTS. Therefore, the student’s results from this test will be mapped back to the IELTS entry requirements indicated above to check they have met requirements.
*Note that other English language tests such as PTE and TOEFL can be accepted. Students are required to provide their results so that it can be confirmed they are equivalent to IELTS 5.5.
Students must complete a total of Twenty-eight (28) units thirteen (13) core units and including fifteen (15) elective units.
- BSBDIV501 Manage diversity in the workplace
- BSBMGT517 Manage operational plan
- SITXCCS007 Enhance customer service experiences
- SITXCCS008 Develop and manage quality customer service practices
- SITXCOM005 Manage conflict
- SITXFIN003 Manage finances within a budget
- SITXFIN004 Prepare and monitor budgets
- SITXGLC001 Research and comply with regulatory requirements
- SITXHRM002 Roster staff
- SITXHRM003 Lead and manage people
- SITXMGT001 Monitor work operations Core
- SITXMGT002 Establish and conduct business relationships
- SITXWHS003 Implement and monitor work health and safety practices
- SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITHKOP005 Coordinate cooking operations
- SITHCCC013 Prepare seafood dishes*
- SITHCCC014 Prepare meat dishes*
- SITHPAT006 Produce desserts*
- SITHCCC019 Produce cakes, pastries and breads*
- BSBCMM401 Make a presentation
- BSBITU306 Design and produce business documents
- SITXWHS002 Identify hazards, assess and control safety risks
- BSBWOR203 Work effectively with others
- SITXCCS006 Provide service to customers
- SITXHRM001 Coach others in job skills
- SITHIND002 Source and use information on the hospitality industry
- BSBSUS401 Implement and monitor environmentally sustainable work practices
- BSBFIA401 Prepare financial reports
Students who complete this course may wish to continue their education into a range of Advanced Diploma qualifications, such as the SIT60316 Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management.
This qualification provides a pathway to work in any hospitality industry sector as a departmental or small business manager. The diversity of employers includes restaurants, hotels, motels, catering operations, clubs, pubs, cafes, and coffee shops. This qualification allows for multiskilling and for specialisation in accommodation services, cookery, food and beverage and gaming.
Possible job titles include:
- banquet or function manager
- bar manager
- cafe manager
- chef de cuisine
- chef patissier
- club manager
- executive housekeeper
- front office manager
- gaming manager
- kitchen manager
- motel manager
- restaurant manager
- sous chef
- unit manager catering operations.
RTO No. 41418 | CRICOS CODE 03473J
© 2022 Aventia Institute. All Rights Reserved.