SIT40521 Certificate IV
This qualification reflects the role of chefs and cooks who have a supervisory or team leading role in the kitchen. They operate independently or with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems.
This qualification provides a pathway to work in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes and coffee shops, or to run a small business in these sectors.
The skills in this qualification must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State or Territory legislation, Australian standards and industry codes of practice.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
CRICOS Course Code 109499G
Duration: 78 weeks, including 60 teaching weeks plus 18 weeks of holidays.
Term Dates: Refer to the Institute’s Academic Calendar.
This program is delivered in the classroom. Practical face to face training is provided in a commercial kitchen. A work placement is also required.
Classroom: Aventia Institute, Level 1, 93 Edward Street, Brisbane 4000
Training kitchen: Vanilla Zulu 92, Commercial Road, Teneriffe, Brisbane, QLD, 4005, Australia
Aventia Institute’s entry requirements are as follows:
- Be 18 years and above.
- Have completed Year 12 or equivalent.
- Participate in a course entry interview to determine suitability for the course and student needs.
- Have an IELTS Overall score of 5.5 with no less than 5 sub score or equivalent English proficiency as determined by Aventia Institute (Test results must be no more than 2 years old). OR
- (IELTS) Overall band score 5 or equivalent, if packaged with at least 10 weeks’ ELICOS; OR
- (IELTS) Overall band score of 4.5 or equivalent, if packaged with at least 20 weeks’ ELICOS
- English language competence can also be demonstrated through documented evidence of any of the following:
- the student was educated for 5 years in an English-speaking country.
- the student has successfully completed a foundation course in Australia
- the student has successfully completed the College English Placement Test.
- An applicant, who, in the 2 years before applying for the course as holder of a student visa, has successfully completed a substantial component (More than 50%) of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV level or higher that was conducted in Australia and in English, while the applicant was holding a student visa OR
- Where a student cannot provide evidence of English language proficiency as above, they will be required to complete the Versant Placement Test. The Versant Placement Test includes a score mapping to the CEFR which in turn maps back to IELTS. Therefore, the student’s results from this test will be mapped back to the IELTS entry requirements indicated above to check they have met requirements.
*Note that other English language tests such as PTE and TOEFL can be accepted. Students are required to provide their results so that it can be confirmed they are equivalent to IELTS 5.5.
Students must complete a total of Thirty-three (33) units including twenty-Seven (27) core units and six (6) elective units
- SITHCCC023 Use food preparation equipment SITHCCC027 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery
- SITHCCC028 Prepare appetisers and salads
- SITHCCC029 Prepare stocks, sauces and soups
- SITHCCC030 Prepare vegetable, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes
- SITHCCC031 Prepare vegetarian and vegan dishes
- SITHCCC035 Prepare poultry dishes
- SITHCCC036 Prepare meat dishes
- SITHCCC037 Prepare seafood dishes
- SITHCCC041 Produce cakes, pastries and breads
- SITHCCC042 Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
- SITHCCC043 Work effectively as a cook
- SITHKOP010 Plan and cost recipes
- SITHKOP012 Develop recipes for special dietary requirements
- SITHKOP013 Plan cooking operations
- SITHKOP015 Design and cost menus
- SITHPAT016 Produce desserts
- SITXCOM010 Manage conflict
- SITXFIN009 Manage finances within a budget
- SITXFSA005 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITXFSA006 Participate in safe food handling practices
- SITXFSA008 Develop and implement a food safety program
- SITXHRM008 Roster staff
- SITXHRM009 Lead and manage people
- SITXINV006 Receive, store and maintain stock
- SITXMGT004 Monitor work operations
- SITXWHS007 Implement and monitor work health and safety practices
Refer to the Aventia course brochure for the list of Electives.
Students who complete this course may wish to continue their education into a range of Diploma qualifications, such as the SIT50422 Diploma of Hospitality Management.
Potential employment options are in the roles such as chef or chef de partie.
RTO No. 41418 | CRICOS CODE 03473J
© 2024 Aventia Institute. All Rights Reserved.