SIT40516 Certificate IV
This qualification reflects the role of commercial cooks who have a supervisory or team leading role in the kitchen. They operate independently or with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems.
This qualification provides a pathway to work in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes and coffee shops, or to run a small business in these sectors.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
CRICOS Course Code 102669F
Duration: 78 weeks, including 60 teaching weeks plus 18 weeks of holidays.
Term Dates:Refer to the Institute’s academic Calendar.
This program is delivered in the classroom. Practical face to face training is provided in a commercial kitchen. A work placement is also required.
Classroom: Aventia Institute, Level 1, 93 Edward Street, Brisbane 4000
Training kitchen: Vanilla Zulu 92, Commercial Road, Teneriffe, Brisbane, QLD, 4005, Australia
Aventia Institute’s entry requirements are as follows:
- Be 18 years and above.
- Have completed Year 12 or equivalent.
- Participate in a course entry interview to determine suitability for the course and student needs.
- Have an IELTS overall score of 5.5 with no less than 5 sub score or equivalent English proficiency as determined by Aventia Institute (Test results must be no more than 2 years old).
International Students may not be required to provide evidence of English Language competence where documented evidence can be provided to demonstrate any of the following:
- the student was educated for 5 years in an English-speaking country.
- the student has successfully least 6 months of a Certificate IV level course in an Australian RTO
- the student has successfully completed the College English Placement Test.
Where a student cannot provide evidence of English language proficiency as above, they will be required to complete the Versant Placement Test. The Versant Placement Test includes a score mapping to the CEFR which in turn maps back to IELTS. Therefore, the student’s results from this test will be mapped back to the IELTS entry requirements indicated above to check they have met requirements.
*Note that other English language tests such as PTE and TOEFL can be accepted. Students are required to provide their results so that it can be confirmed they are equivalent to IELTS 5.5.
Students must complete a total of Thirty-three (33) units including twenty-six (26) core units and seven (7) elective units
- BSBDIV501 Manage diversity in the workplace
- BSBSUS401 Implement and monitor environmentally sustainable work practices
- SITHCCC001 Use food preparation equipment*
- SITHCCC005 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery*
- SITHCCC006 Prepare appetisers and salads*
- SITHCCC007 Prepare stocks, sauces and soups*
- SITHCCC008 Prepare vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes*
- SITHCCC012 Prepare poultry dishes*
- SITHCCC013 Prepare seafood dishes*
- SITHCCC014 Prepare meat dishes*
- SITHCCC018 Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements*
- SITHCCC019 Produce cakes, pastries and breads*
- SITHCCC020 Work effectively as a cook*
- SITHKOP002 Plan and cost basic menus
- SITHKOP004 Develop menus for special dietary requirements
- SITHKOP005 Coordinate cooking operations*
- SITHPAT006 Produce desserts*
- SITXCOM005 Manage conflict
- SITXFIN003 Manage finances within a budget
- SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITXFSA002 Participate in safe food handling practices
- SITXHRM001 Coach others in job skills
- SITXHRM003 Lead and manage people
- SITXINV002 Maintain the quality of perishable items*
- SITXMGT001 Monitor work operations
- SITXWHS003 Implement and monitor work health and safety practices
- SITXWHS002 Identify hazards, assess and control safety risks
- SITXFIN004 Prepare and monitor budgets
- BSBWOR203 Work effectively with others
- SITXCCS006 Provide service to customers
- BSBITU306 Design and produce business documents
- BSBFIA401 Prepare financial reports
- SITHIND002 Source and use information on the hospitality industry
Students who complete this course may wish to continue their education into a range of Diploma qualifications, such as the SIT50416 Diploma of Hospitality Management.
Potential employment options are in the commercial cookery sector in the roles such as chef or chef de partie.
RTO No. 41418 | CRICOS CODE 03473J
© 2020 Aventia Institute. All Rights Reserved.