SIT30816 Certificate III
This qualification reflects the role of commercial cooks who use a wide range of well-developed cookery skills and sound knowledge of kitchen operations to prepare food and menu items. Using discretion and judgement, they work with some independence and under limited supervision using plans, policies and procedures to guide work activities.
This qualification provides a pathway to work as a commercial cook in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafés, and coffee shops.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
CRICOS Course Code 106123H
Duration: 52 weeks, including 40 teaching weeks plus 12 weeks of holidays.
Term Dates:Refer to the Institute’s academic Calendar.
This program is delivered in the classroom. Practical face to face training is provided in a commercial kitchen. A work placement is also required.
Classroom: Aventia Institute, Level 1, 93 Edward Street, Brisbane 4000
Training kitchen: Vanilla Zulu 92, Commercial Road, Teneriffe, Brisbane, QLD, 4005, Australia
Aventia Institute’s entry requirements are as follows:
- Be 15 years and above.
- Have completed Year 10 or equivalent.
- Participate in a course entry interview to determine suitability for the course and student needs.
- Have an IELTS Overall score of 5.5 with no less than 5 sub score or equivalent English proficiency as determined by Aventia Institute (Test results must be no more than 2 years old). OR
- (IELTS) Overall band score 5 or equivalent, if packaged with at least 10 weeks’ ELICOS; OR
- (IELTS) Overall band score of 4.5 or equivalent, if packaged with at least 20 weeks’ ELICOS
- English language competence can also be demonstrated through documented evidence of any of the following:
- the student was educated for 5 years in an English-speaking country.
- the student has successfully completed a foundation course in Australia
- the student has successfully completed the College English Placement Test.
- An applicant, who, in the 2 years before applying for the course as holder of a student visa, has successfully completed a substantial component (More than 50% of the course) of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV level or higher that was conducted in Australia and in English, while the applicant was holding a student visa OR
- Where a student cannot provide evidence of English language proficiency as above, they will be required to complete the Versant Placement Test. The Versant Placement Test includes a score mapping to the CEFR which in turn maps back to IELTS. Therefore, the student’s results from this test will be mapped back to the IELTS entry requirements indicated above to check they have met requirements.
*Note that other English language tests such as PTE and TOEFL can be accepted. Students are required to provide their results so that it can be confirmed they are equivalent to IELTS 5.5.
Students must complete a total of Twenty-five (25) units including twenty-one (21) core units and Four (4) elective units
- BSBSUS201 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- BSBWOR203 Work effectively with others
- SITHCCC001 Use food preparation equipment*
- SITHCCC005 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery*
- SITHCCC006 Prepare appetisers and salads*
- SITHCCC007 Prepare stocks, sauces and soups*
- SITHCCC008 Prepare vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes*
- SITHCCC012 Prepare poultry dishes*
- SITHCCC013 Prepare seafood dishes*
- SITHCCC014 Prepare meat dishes*
- SITHCCC018 Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements*
- SITHCCC019 Produce cakes, pastries and breads*
- SITHCCC020 Work effectively as a cook*
- SITHKOP001 Clean kitchen premises and equipment
- SITHKOP002 Plan and cost basic menus
- SITHPAT006 Produce desserts*
- SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITXFSA002 Participate in safe food handling practices
- SITXHRM001 Coach others in job skills
- SITXINV002 Maintain the quality of perishable items*
- SITXWHS001 Participate in safe working practices
- SITXCCS006 Provide service to customers
- BSBITU306 Design and produce business documents
- SITXWHS002 Identify hazards, assess and control safety risks
- SITHIND002 Source and use information on the hospitality industry
Students who complete this course may wish to continue their education into a range of Certificate IV qualifications, such as the SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery.
Potential employment options are as a commercial cook in a range of settings.
RTO No. 41418 | CRICOS CODE 03473J
© 2023 Aventia Institute. All Rights Reserved.