Diploma of Horticulture
The Diploma of Horticulture reflects the role of those who manage amenity horticultural enterprises where a range of skills and knowledge across the breadth of the industry is required or personnel working in horticulture at a level requiring higher technical skills.
CRICOS Course Code 108772C
Duration: 52 weeks, including 40 teaching weeks and 12 weeks of holidays.
Term Dates: Refer to the Institute’s academic Calendar.
Classroom based – face to face
Level 1, 93 Edward Street, Brisbane City, QLD 4000
Aventia Institute has the following entry requirements:
International students must:
- Be at least 18 years of age and have completed Year 12 or equivalent.
- Participate in a course entry interview to determine suitability for the course and student needs.
- Have an IELTS Overall score of 5.5 with no less than 5 sub score or equivalent English proficiency as determined by Aventia Institute (Test results must be no more than 2 years old). OR
- (IELTS) Overall band score 5 or equivalent, if packaged with at least 10 weeks’ ELICOS; OR
- (IELTS) Overall band score of 4.5 or equivalent, if packaged with at least 20 weeks’ ELICOS
- English language competence can also be demonstrated through documented evidence of any of the following:
- the student was educated for 5 years in an English-speaking country.
- the student has successfully completed a foundation course in Australia
- the student has successfully completed the College English Placement Test.
- An applicant, who, in the 2 years before applying for the course as holder of a student visa, has successfully completed a substantial component (More than 50% of the course) of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV level or higher that was conducted in Australia and in English, while the applicant was holding a student visa OR
- Where a student cannot provide evidence of English language proficiency as above, they will be required to complete the Versant Placement Test. The Versant Placement Test includes a score mapping to the CEFR which in turn maps back to IELTS. Therefore, the student’s results from this test will be mapped back to the IELTS entry requirements indicated above to check they have met requirements.
*Note that other English language tests such as PTE and TOEFL can be accepted. Students are required to provide their results so that it can be confirmed they are equivalent to IELTS 5.5.
Students must complete a total of 10 elective units.
- AHCBUS515 Prepare estimates, quotes and tenders
- AHCSOL505 Monitor and manage soils for production
- AHCBUS518 Prepare and monitor budgets and financial reports
- AHCWRK502 Collect and manage data
- AHCPMG413 Define the pest problem
- AHCPMG510 Develop a pest survey strategy
- AHCWAT503 Manage water systems
- AHCMOM501 Manage machinery and equipment
- AHCBUS511 Manage enterprise staff requirements
- BSBPMG430 Undertake project work
Students who complete this course may wish to continue their education into the further studies in the Agriculture, Horticulture and Conservation and Land Management Training Package.
Potential employment options are:
- maintenance and management of private and public gardens and parks
- restoration and management of heritage gardens
- project management
- managing a horticultural enterprise.
- design and garden drawing
- Garden Designer
- Landscape Gardener
RTO No. 41418 | CRICOS CODE 03473J
© 2023 Aventia Institute. All Rights Reserved.